Gifts of Appreciation
Employees achieving service milestones will also receive certificates and special gifts as a token of appreciation from University leadership. Five-year gifts are sent to the Dean or Vice President of employees' schools/divisions by University Events for distribution. Gifts for 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50-year recipients are presented during the Annual Service Award Ceremony. Employees who reach their 25-year service anniversary are inducted into the distinguished Quarter Century Club and receive their gifts at a separate event.
Employees who retire in the same year they reach service milestone will receive a retirement gift in the mail in lieu of the service year gift. Human Resources provides University Events with a list of new retirees at the end of each month. A “retiree” is defined by the UT System Office of Employee Benefits.
- 5 Years: Coin bearing the UT Dallas seal presented by the Dean or Vice President of the employee's school/division
- 10 Years: Coin medallion with the UT Dallas seal
- 20 Years: Paper weight bearing the UT Dallas seal
- Quarter Century Club: Plaque bearing the UT Dallas seal presented at a separate event
- 30 Years: Coaster set bearing the UT Dallas seal
- 40 Years: Clock bearing the UT Dallas seal
- 50 Years: Watch bearing the UT Dallas seal
- Retirement: Gift mailed to retiree
The University’s Employee Service Awards program recognizes years of service at UT Dallas. Service years are calculated with the following guidelines:
- Service as a staff, faculty or research/teaching assistant of 0.25 FTE or greater for at least 4 ½ months.*
- A nine-month faculty appointment would constitute one year of service.
- *Research/Teaching Assistants (RA/TA) and Visiting Professors will receive credit for time worked if they are hired into a regular position and worked both semesters in the fiscal year in which they were an RA/TA or Visiting Professor.
- A leave of absence (LOA) will not count against time worked unless the employee was out more than six (6) consecutive months.
- Lecturers in a “temp” status will receive service credit if teaching in both semesters of the academic year at a 0.25 FTE or greater.
- Breaks in service are combined to calculate total service credit (i.e.: a service period of 1970-1974 and 1980-1986 would equal 10 years of service).
UT Dallas service years do not include:
- Service performed as casual labor or temporary, non-benefits-eligible employee.
- Service as a student employee.
- Service with any other agency of the State of Texas.
- Service with any other institution within The University of Texas System.