Mandatory Retirement Programs
UT Dallas benefits-eligible employees are required to enroll in a retirement plan with either the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP). Employer contributions are made to these plans in addition to the contributions made by employees.
Eligibility: To be eligible to participate in TRS, an employee must be employed in a benefits-eligible position for at least 20 hours per week and 4 ½ continuous months. To be eligible to participate in ORP, an employee must: (1) initially be appointed on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) and 4 ½ or more; and (2) be appointed to a position otherwise eligible to participate in ORP.
UTSaver Voluntary Retirement Programs
Employees have the option to participate in additional UTSaver voluntary retirement programs, such as the UTSaver TSA-403(b) or the UTSaver DCP-457(b). These plans are based on employee contributions only; UT Dallas does not make employer contributions to these plans.
Eligibility: Anyone receiving a salary with UT Dallas is eligible to participate in the voluntary retirement program known as UTSaver. This includes graduate student employees, temporary employees, part-time employees, and return-to-work retirees.
Retirement Planning Resources
- UT Retirement Provider Agents (UTD agents found on UTD tab)
- An Overview of TRS and ORP
- Comparison between Traditional, Roth 403(b), and Roth IRA contributions
- Your Retirement Programs at a Glance
- Educate Me
- UT Retirement Savings Limits
- Saving for Retirement
- University of Texas Retirement Manager (UTRM)
- How to Enroll in Retirement Manager
- Approved Investment Providers
- Investment Fund Performance